"60 Years of cult and classic soundtracks Featuring Bernard Hermann, John Barry, Thomas Newman, Giorgio Moroder, Isaac Hayes, Lalo Schifrin, Mike Oldfield, Vangelis..
Music is a powerful trigger of myriad emotions, from the romantic, powerful, disastrous and even heartbreaking. Never is this more plainly evident than with the movie soundtrack. Listen to Lalo Schifrin’s string and brass arrangements on ‘Bullitt’ and we are back in the car with Steve McQueen in an epic chase over the elliptical contours of San Francisco.Flip to Wendy Carlos’ ‘Ode To Joy’ as Alex exclaims: “It was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh,” the violence simmering somewhere close to the surface in Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange.
We’ve collected together some of the classic themes and motifs spanning the past 60 years, from Bernard Hermann’s daring fusion of orthodox orchestration and theremin, Gary Jules’ haunting version of Tears For Fears’ ‘Mad World’, as featured in the hypnotic Donnie Darko, or John Barry’s harmonica-led theme to Schlesinger’s Midnight Cowboy. In the process, we’ve selected a vast range of styles from the jazz and soul-influenced compositions of Roy Budd, Isaac Hayes and Brazil’s Deodato, to electronic pioneers like Giorgio Moroder or leftfield composers like Philip Glass.
So pour yourself that glass of something smooth, relax on the sofa, close your eyes and make believe you’re in a creaking hotel with Jack Nicholson or deep in the fearful sweat of Vietnam with Robert De Niro or a Turkish prison with Brad Davis….
All human life is here.
1. COLUMBIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA / BERNSTEIN Rhapsody in Blue (excerpt) (Manhattan)
2. RR ORCHESTRA Sarabande (Barry Lyndon)
3. JOHN BARRY Midnight Cowboy (Midnight Cowboy)
4. PASCAL ROGÉ Gnossiennes #3 (Henry & June)
5. MICHAEL ANDREWS ft GARY JULES Mad World (Donnie Darko)
6. ARTHUR FIEDLER / BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA March of the Siamese Children (TheKing & I)
7. NICK INGMAN / ORCHESTRA LONDON SINFONIETTA Adagio for Strings (Platoon)
1. JOHN WILLIAMS Cavatina (The Deer Hunter)
2. PHILIP GLASS Powaqqatsi (Powaqqatsi)
3. MICHAEL KAMEN The Office (Brazil)
4. BERNARD HERRMANN Outer Space (The Day The Earth Stood Still)
5. RAY NOBLE &HIS ORCHESTRA Midnight, the Stars and You (The Shining)
6. THOMAS NEWMAN Horse (Jarhead)
7. WENDY CARLOS / MARK AYRES Ode to Joy (A Clockwork Orange)
1. DEODATO Also Sprach Zarathustra (Being There)
2. THOMAS NEWMAN / HOLLYWOOD STUDIO SYMPHONY Brooks Was Here (TheShawshank Redemption)
3. MIKE OLDFIELD Tubular Bells (excerpt) (The Exorcist)
4. HOTEI Battle Without Honor or Humanity (Kill Bill: Vol 1)
5. JOHN CARPENTER / MARK AYRES Halloween Main Theme (Halloween)
6. BERNARD HERRMANN Main Title (Taxi Driver)
1. GIORGIO MORODER Chase (Midnight Express)
2. ISAAC HAYES Theme From "Shaft"(Shaft)
3. LALO SCHIFRIN Bullitt Main Title (Bullitt)
4. VANGELIS Tears in Rain (Blade Runner)
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.